Audio Episode 10
In this episode we explore a relatively new subgenre of science fiction called Solarpunk, which aims to imagine better, more ecologically harmonious, futures on earth. In many ways Solarpunk is a reaction to both the real-world climate crisis and to the many apocalyptic visions of collapse filling our screens. Andrew Sage from the YouTube channel Andrewism joins host Jonathan McIntosh and friend of the show Carl Williams for this conversation.
References & Links
• The Andrewism YouTube Channel
• Walkaway by Cory Doctorow
• Ecotopia by Ernest Callenbach
• Sunvault: Stories of Solarpunk and Eco-Speculation
• Fighting for the Future edited by Phoebe Wagner
• Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
• Princess Mononoke from Studio Ghibli
• The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin
• Emergency Skin by N. K. Jemisin
• Monk and Robot book series by Becky Chambers
• Dear Alice from THE LINE
• Dear Alice’ Decommodified Edition by Waffle To The Left
• Our History Is the Future by Nick Estes
• 3000-Year-Old Solutions to Modern Problems by Lyla June
• Capitalist Realism by Mark Fisher
Support this project
All of our Pop Culture Detective media projects, including this one, are 100% funded by listeners and viewers. You’ll never hear ads and all episode will be made available for free online. So if you enjoy the kind of in-depth media criticism you just heard, please consider supporting our work over on Patreon.
All multimedia clips included in this podcast constitute a ‘fair use’ of any copyrighted material as provided for in Section 107 of U.S. Copyright law, which allows for criticism, comment, and scholarship. Learn more about fair use via New Media Rights!
Audio production: Jonathan McIntosh
Intro music: Simon Stålenhag
Outro Music: Rick Lopez